In this year we are expected to read for 6 or 7 minutes at least 5 times a week. If we do this we are invited to Book Lovers Tea Party on a Monday afternoon where we get to share Mrs Tebbutt’s favourite stories and have a drink and a chocolate biscuit!
It would be really helpful if you could support me by:
- Making sure I have my reading diary and book in school every day.
- Writing in my diary every time we read together, little and often is more effective than a longer reading session less frequently.
- Giving me time to look at the pictures in the book before I start reading so that I can gather clues about what the book is about.
- Giving me time to solve unfamiliar words myself.
- Looking at the book band criteria which will be stuck in my reading diary. This will tell you my learning points for this book band.
- Asking me questions about what I have read using the question words: who, what, where, when, why. This will help me to follow the story and develop my comprehension.
My Maths homework should take about 30 minutes. It is to practise the skills I have been doing in my Maths lessons that week.
It would be really helpful if you could support me by making sure I have the equipment I need and reminding me to bring it back in when I have completed it ready for marking. If I get stuck please help me or let my teacher know I found it tricky.
My weekly spellings can be made up of different kinds of words. There may be some Year 2 key words, some words which follow a certain spelling rule we have been working on or some maths or topic words.
You can help me learn them by encouraging me to learn 2 or 3 a night and practise all words by the end of the week. Sometimes we might spot some of these words when we are reading together, we could point this out to each other.